Proof that Hak5 can be produced under heavy medication, Darren & Shannon go over some nifty tips for tethering your Droid in Ubuntu without root access, generating themes for popular CMS like WordPress or Joomla, and more.
A Great Week for Hacking
- Our pal Mubix, while sad about the demise of MDD, is excited about Fastdump Community Edition
- Decaf defeats Microsoft’s Cofee
- People, this is why encryption is important. Predator drones hacked.
- Darren is excited about WordPress 2.9’s oEmbed Feature
- It was only a matter of time^H^H^H^Hseconds before the Nook was rooted
- Shannon is eager for some free in-flight WiFi.
Build wordpress, joomla, droopal themes without code
While it’s no Geocities page creator, Shannon reviews (and mostly likes) last week’s CMS theme generator recommendation Artisteer. Shannon reviews it’s basic operation and gripes about the trial limitations. Worth $50? Maybe if you’re looking to build a dozen WordPress themes. Just looking for a one-off? You’re probably better off with a free, or even paid theme.
Droid tethering without root access
While we’re likely mere moments away from WiFi Droid Tethering [Edit: Well would you look at that], Darren has just the trick for tethering the Droid with Ubuntu without root access. Ok, actually root on Ubuntu is required but not on the droid. Easy enough Eh?
Mad props to Shannon VanWagner for putting together a simple 15-step process for tethering via USB with Ubuntu and the Droid.
And mad props again to bigmack83 for turning these 15 steps into a basic shell script. Actually a wizard would be more apt, as this script guides you through the process of installing packages, creating rules, setting up your droid and finally connecting.
Read on for details from the author