This time on the show Jason joins us to talk DSLR video hacks and
homebrew Google TV. Shannon brings us her favorite portable apps, and
Jackie and Darren tackle your questions concerning secure FTP, Ubuntu
Server, and document stealing with USB Dumper.
DSLR hacks and homebrew Google TV
Darren and Jason take a few questions regarding video equipment and building your own Google TV.
Darren states that Hak5 uses the Panasonic AG-HMC40, as well as some inexpensive consumer cameras, and recommends the Creative Vado HD 3rd Gen.
Jason is still very happy with the Magic Lantern firmware.
Ty wants to know about building a Google TV. While Jason loves the ASS AT3IONT-I Deluxe motherboard he explains that it may be some time before we see homebrew Google TV boxes, al la Boxee. Google states that the source code will be available “next year”.
I reviewed Unlocker a while back, a tool that can help you unlock locked files for copying, moving, renaming, deleting, etc. If you didn’t like Unlocker, perhaps you’ll like Lock Hunter instead.
Lock Hunter has an easy interface.Will show you what process is locking the files Allows unlocking, deleting, copying, and renaming. Allows you to kill the locking process. You can remove the locking process from your harddrive (if it’s malware for example) Integrates in Explorer menu. Deletes into the recycle bin so you can restore files. Supported in both versions of windows.32/ 64
Downloading the program is simple. Just click the 32 or 64 bit version, run through the install, and run thr program. If something is locked, you can browse to that files, click enter, and it will show a list of programs that have locked that file. So, for example, this file didn’t have any locks on it so it tells me nothing was found. Now, I have this Hak5 Theme song downloaded and I’m playing it in VLC. I try to delete it and it says it can’t be done. I open the file in Lock Hunter and it tells me it’s being locked by VLC. From here I can unlock it, delete it, as well as close the locking processes or delete the locker from my disc. You can also right click the file and choose ‘whats unlocking this file?’ which will open the same window.
Lock Hunter’s interface is a little easier than Unlocker but really it’s your call on which one you prefer. I think I like Lock Hunter more….
Email me what you think at firstname.lastname@example.org.
A while back, I reviewed FastStone Capture, a screen capturing tool for basic needs. If you didn’t like FastStone Capture, maybe you’ll like PicPick instead.
- Can be used for multiple screens
- Customizable screen capturing area
- Can share to Social Media sites and FTP
- Built in editor
- Built in color palette and picker
- Pixel Ruler
- Screen Magnifier and Protractor
- On screen crosshairs
- Home version is free
- Go to http://picpick.wiziple.net/ and download the home version. Run the downloader and open PicPick.
- Program Options open and you can set your desired settings. Hot Keys will run certain commands when pressed. FTP lets you upload to an FTP easily, the Editor section lets you change file types, background images, etc. Autosave will save to a certain folder, File name lets you change how each image is saved, and Capture lets you change any options having to do with the actual screen capture.
- To capture your screen hit print screen. I chose for the editor to automatically open when I do that.
- Up at the top you can paste from clipboard, Zoom in and out, view in full screen and hit esc to get out of that, check out the basic effects, like grayscale… pixelate… frame… and hue/saturation. You can also resize the photo, or rotate it.
- There are also options to draw lines and shapes, just like in paint. Once done, choose file Save, and save your photo.
- Other fun things include the Color Picker- choose a color on your screen and find the actual code for it-
- A color palette
- A Magnifier- You can magnify anything you put your cursor over
- Pixel Ruler- To find the exact width of a photo, etc.
- Protractor- To find angles on your computer
- Crosshair- Which will find the pixel count at that very spot
- Whiteboard- You can draw on your own desktop… just like when we
- PicPick is super handy especially if you just need to do simple edits to photos, take screen captures, or work on websites. And it’s free! Email me what you think at email@example.com.WinDirStatOverview: WinderStat is a handy tool that will show you how your harddrive is being used, and where everything is saved. It’ll also help you clean up your disc drive.
The directory list, which resembles the tree view of the Windows Explorer but is sorted by file/subtree size, The treemap, which shows the whole contents of the directory tree straight away, The extension list, which serves as a legend and shows statistics about the file types.
Download and open the program, let it run it’s first statistic findings and open the 3 windows. On mine, I see the virtual memory takes up a big block, but so does a big cache of DropBox video’s that I can delete, clearing up a TON of space for myself.
WinDerStat is a great find and super useful for anyone who needs a little more space on their harddrive. I’m definetly keeping this one. Email me at Feedback@hak5.org with your comments.
Questions: Ubuntu FTP Server & USB Dumper
Shan writes in to ask about setting up a secure FTP server on Ubuntu and wonders what the differences are between Desktop and Server. Darren recommends Ubuntu Server with vsftpd or OpenSSH.
Zdeno writes in to ask about a program to silently copy data from USB drives. Zdeno, look no further than USB Dumper.
Keep up with the latest on Hak5 by follow us on Twitter or Facebook. Subscribe and get your weekly technolust delivered automatically. Or show your support and grab some swag from the HakShop – including the new airport friendly WiFi Pineapple and hoodie. Finally if you’d like to suggest a topic
for ask a question feel free to hit up firstname.lastname@example.org.
hak5, Ubuntu, FTP, vsftpd, usb dumper, OpenSSH, SSH, windirstat,
picpick, screen capture, fast stone capture, faststone capture, lock
hunter, file unlocker, dslr, canon rebel, xsi video, rebel video,
record video, hd camera, google tv, Android, Homebrew, source code,